Sunday, July 12, 2015

DXC Summer Update #6

Darts - 
Believe it or not, we are half way through our 12 week summer training program. It is a good time to re-evaluate your summer mileage goal and re-commit to reaching a certain number for the end of the summer. For the most part, you should be able to get more miles over the 2nd 6 weeks than you did during the first 6 weeks. I will update week 6 from your emails and then send out a copy of the mileage so far (expect it tomorrow). I challenge you to challenge yourselves and see what number you can get to by the end of the summer. Don't overdo it! We want healthy, strong, prepared runners when we get to the end of August. If you are in the 220-240 range, you should shoot for 500; if you are in the 170-190 range, you should shoot for 400; and so on. Time to recommit to your summer goal and really put in some hard work. It will all pay off in October!

About a week ago, some of the boys on the TEAM told me they met a high school teammate of mine while they were running the Wasatch Back Relay. They didn't get his name - only his nickname, "Blondie". I knew immediately who they were talking about - Curtis Moore. Curtis and I joined the cross country team together in 9th grade and for the next 4 years we ran together nearly every day. We did not know each other very well until we spent time as teammates. By the time we were juniors, Curtis and I were best friends - and we were also running 1-2 on our cross country team (at Bingham). We were back and forth our whole senior year - sometimes he would get me and sometimes I would get him - but no matter who won, we were always teammates before competitors and we were always trying to get better together. I am grateful for the awesome teammates I have had with my running. My teammates are my closest friends. They have been there for me at the most important moments of my life - both in running and away from running. I attended two mission farewells today, and I was so happy to see teammates of the missionaries showing their love and support. 
I hope you all realize how lucky you are to have amazing teammates. I hope that you will develop your friendships and grow together this next season (and this next year). And I hope that each of you will work hard to be a good teammate and friend - and not always focus on yourself. I was seriously lucky to have some of the greatest teammates - Blondie, Phil, Bullock, Hop, Deak, Shakespeare, Stevie, Adamn, the Rat Pack (Joe Joe, Tolmanator, Dickey), Atwater, Jed and Mark, Schoner, Evans, Hooper, Richardson, Cook, and the list could go on. Guys with character. Guys with toughness. Guys who had my back no matter what. Guys who taught me how to be gutsy, taught me how to work, taught me how to race. Guys who kept me laughing and kept me positive through any hard times. So much of who I was/am as a runner, I owe to them. When we stood on the starting line together, I knew I had teammates who would hurt and race to the point of exhaustion for each other. I wouldn't say it happened every season of my career, but the best seasons were always the ones where the TEAM came first and we were unified. Where we were working our butts off with a purpose - and that purpose was to be great TOGETHER. The greatest teams I have seen have not always been the most talented ones - but they have been unified and they have learned to race for one another.
There is most definitely something special about being on a TEAM - and if you don't feel it, you aren't doing it right. I know some of you are new to DXC - and I hope all of you will help us build what we have into an unstoppable TEAM. 
Be grateful for solid teammates and always strive to be the best teammate you can be.  When the going gets tough, when you are trying to find motivation, think of your TEAM and get out the door and get work done!

Eligibility - I sent out an email last night that covers the important eligibility information. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cross Country Camp - a few of you who were invited have still not confirmed for cross country camp. Please let me know through email or at the Vita Course tomorrow if you can or can't come. I will send out the waivers this week. Waivers and money will be due on Tuesday, July 21st. Thanks!

This Week:
Monday - Vita Course at 7:00am - we are going for a time (running hard) to Fernwood and back. Theme = "Junior High". Wear a junior high t-shirt or uniform. Prepare to run fast (hydrate/eat some carbs/get some sleep). 
Thursday - Meet at the school at 7:00am. We are going to the Lagoon trails for mile repeats (will need drivers). 
Friday - Boys Run & Girls Run - Both groups meet at the school at 7:00am.
Saturday - Long Run - Shoot for your longest run of the week - on your own or in small groups.  

Have another great week of training and playing!
Coach Talley

Brad's Corner: Running has taught me so much. Things like, Adidas is superior to all other brands, sweat in your eyes burns, chicks dig runners, and muscle cramps are not fun at 3 AM. But one of the biggest things I learned is to not give up. 
My Dad used to say before races, "You never know when the guy in front of you is going to fall." What that meant is no matter how far behind I got, don't give up. Keep racing, because the guy in front could trip, hit the wall or whatever and if I gave up I wouldn't be there to capitalize on it. 
When am going through injuries, or my running is going well, had a bad race, or I am going through a slump it is easy to want to give up. But I know if I just keep at it will turn around. 
Running can be tough! That is what is so rewarding about it. That is why I love it. And after all of these years it still gives me the same enjoyment and fulfillment. 
Trust me, over your summer training or soon enough in a race, you will want to give up. You will want to let up. You will want to stay in your comfort zone. When that times does come, and it will, DON'T GIVE UP! Fight through the slumps. Fight through the last mile of a race. You may be the only one that really knows you didn't give up, but trust me...that is enough.

2 comments:

Kelly Olsen said...

Hello my name is Kelly Olsen and we are moving into Kaysville from New Hampshire. I was told that cross country is open to join for all levels of runners. My daughter Natalie loves to run and has run 10Ks and a half marathon but has never been on a cross country team before. Also, is the camp open for everyone? Thank you.

Talley said...

Kelly - email me directly at ctalley@dsdmail.net
Thanks!